PROVIDER="DSL provider" DSLSUPPORTED="yes" MODEMSUPPORTED="no" ISDNSUPPORTED="no" USERNAME="put your username here" PASSWORD="put your password here" IDLETIME="300" DEMAND="yes" DNS1="18.104.22.168" DNS2=""I have mine configured for dial on demand, which make a new connection whenever I want to use the internet for something. Unlike dial-up this is almost instantaneous.
Now, if you are running a network behind your dsl connected box, as I am, there is one more wrinkle that took me several days of research to uncover. The symtom is that some www sites cause our system to hang, for no apparent reason. This was maddening, since it basically worked well, except all of a sudden I couldn't check my credit card balance at www.mbna.com. Like I said, it took a while to get to the bottom of this, and the problem is described in great detail at: http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/cg_pmtu2.html, but the crux of it is that you need to reset all of the MTUs (Maximum Transfer Units) of all the ethernet cards in your network to (probably 1492) the size of the MTU on your PPP0 connection. HUH? you say. Here is the output /sbin/ifconfig on the linux box that acts as my router:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:8B:C2:6C inet6 addr: fe80::280:c8ff:fe8b:c26c/10 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1 RX packets:528744 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:523438 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:43 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:315335468 (300.7 Mb) TX bytes:60519670 (57.7 Mb) Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:48:54:C0:FA:0E inet addr:192.168.0.9 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::248:54ff:fec0:fa0e/10 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1 RX packets:432677 errors:0 dropped:88 overruns:0 frame:85 TX packets:442528 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:81874769 (78.0 Mb) TX bytes:314233462 (299.6 Mb) Interrupt:9 Base address:0x320 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:81688 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:81688 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:8268570 (7.8 Mb) TX bytes:8268570 (7.8 Mb) ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol inet addr:22.214.171.124 P-t-P:126.96.36.199 Mask:255.255.255.255 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1 RX packets:426557 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:421216 errors:0 dropped:234 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:3Notice that on the third line of the ppp0 output is MTU:1492. Normally ethernet cards have an MTU of 1500, but PPPOE uses 8 bytes of that space for its own special header. Now eth0 is the card that is connected to the DSL modem, and eth1 is the card that is connected to the rest of my network. If you have a similar setup, chances are the MTU on both eth0 and eth0 are 1500, but you need to change them to whatever is the MTU for ppp0. You will also need to do this on every computer that is connected to eth1, ie, your local network. Again how you do this will depend on your distribution, but somewhere along the line it needs to be set. I got desperate and resorted to brute force:
ifconfig eth1 latitude mtu 1492 up ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492 upWhere latitude is the name of my router, and these commands run whenever the network is started. So there you have it. It is running like a charm, as evidenced by:
henry@latitude:~> uptime 9:36pm up 78 days, 12:02, 5 users, load average: 0.16, 0.05, 0.01 -----------^^^^^^^ - Microsoft users! Eat your hearts out!As my friends at SuSe would say: Have a lot of fun!
Go up to Stuff I didn't know where else to put Go up to General Information on Mazatlan Go up to Home Page of Nadine Loves Henry
Go back to Why we left Mazatlan Continue with The Hotel Melville